Coming Closer To Christ

The purpose of me writing this blog is to put my thoughts and impressions down in a place so I can help others come closer to Christ. My deepest desire for every person who reads this, is that they will have a desire of their own to take a step closer, no matter how big or small, to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Friday, November 21, 2014

Language

I want to start off with a scripture; In Leviticus 19:12 it says: "And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the Lord."


On LDS.org it says,

"Profanity is disrespect or contempt for sacred things. It includes casual or irreverent use of the name of any member of the Godhead. It includes any type of unclean or vulgar speech or behavior.

We should always use the names of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost with reverence and respect. Misusing their names is a sin. Profane, vulgar, or crude language or gestures, as well as immoral jokes, are offensive to the Lord and to others.

Foul language is both degrading and harmful to the spirit. We should not let others influence us to use foul language. Instead, we should use clean language that uplifts and edifies others, and we should choose friends who use good language. Setting an example will encourage those around us to use clean language. If friends and acquaintances use profanity, we can good-naturedly encourage them to choose other words. If they persist, we can politely walk away or change the subject.

Those who have developed the habit of swearing can break it. They must begin by making a decision to change and then pray for help."

Okay, now if many of you have met me, you are probably thinking that I have no room to talk. That is true. I don't. I am so NOT perfect, especially at using the proper language I know I should. I am working on it. It is a slow process but it is coming along! I am on a mission right now, and should be so much better and not using any profanity of any kind, but I still do. I am a lot better, but I am so far from perfect. I have met quite a few people who are very good at not saying type of vulgar language. That is incredible, but for most of us, it surrounds us and can be hard for us to not develop the same habit. It is easy for us to just brush off what others say, but I want to invite all of us to put a stop to profanity that surrounds us.

If you use profane language, does that make you a bad person? NO! My dad is an outstanding man. He is absolutely stellar and loves the Lord with all his heart, but does he swear? YES, yes he does. I grew up around swearing and it wasn't really a big deal to me. My mom LOVES potty jokes. Like seriously they are her weakness, although she won't admit it... So I grew up around this. So I of course totally LOVE potty humor too, and if I am mad, choice words sneak out. I can see that I am totally my parents. I think it is hilarious honestly. Looking back at everything I notice all the habits that those around me had, I have now too, both good and bad! So if we can each decide right now to use good language in all aspects of our lives and help those around us use good language too, then our spirits will be stronger.

Of course the paragraph above seems to be kind of negative to my parents. That was so NOT my intention!!! My parents are absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! They have always been there for me. They love the Church and support me through everything. They love me unconditionally. They always taught me to love the Lord and put him first. They always try to serve. They give their whole hearts to what ever it is that they are called to do. They love each other dearly and I can see that love shine. They made our home a place of safety and love. I have learned so many different life skills from both of them. I could go on and on about how amazing my parents are. My mom is the most forgiving person I have ever met and I TRY to be as forgiving as her. My dad the smartest man I have ever met and I TRY to develop knowledge. Okay another thing I need to admit right here, I totally try to learn as much as I can about one subject so I can school my dad, I am still waiting for the day when that happens... Maybe one day I will be able to out-whit him with my GOOD words!

I love the meme below. The words we use can be used for good or for bad. Words are such a big part of everyone's lives. Imagine if a little child repeated what you just said, would you tell them not to say it? Be smart. Those around you will listen and repeat what you say. ESPECIALLY children!


Anyways that was a total tangent. Haha but basically what I felt I needed to share today, was that as we all are at different points in our lives, there is room for improvement in the language department. As everyone tries to make a bigger emphasis on using just a little bit better language, whether it is in the jokes we tell or the angry words we use, our spirituality will be increased.

Just another point I want to make sure I touch on... Replace your bad words with good words. Like the words of Christ!! Super cheesy right? Well just do it and see the difference!!! :) 


I want to share a story a sweet young woman shared last night. We will call her Lindsey. She was in school and there was a girl who was using some very vulgar language. So Lindsey gave her a look of discouragement. The other girl said, "What it just means a female dog." Lindsey looked at her and said, "Yeah? Well I don't like that kind of language. Stop, I don't want to hear it." How brave was Lindsey in this instant? She could have easily just tried to ignore what the other girl was saying, but she stood up for her beliefs. She controlled the situation that she was in, to ensure that she would be able to continue to feel the spirit.


There is a talk I love by Elder Packer about using clean language: https://www.lds.org/new-era/1976/01/the-clean-voice-of-youth?lang=eng

So my thoughts were pretty much everywhere, but here is the basics:

  • Use better language in all aspects, and if you do then you will feel the spirit more in your life. 
  • Make sure that you replace the vulgarity with the good words of Christ.
  • Make sure to stand up for what you are striving to do in your life. Show your beliefs.
  • Don't develop the habit like I have.
  • Just try a little harder each day to be a little better.
  • You don't have to change instantly over night, but just a little bit better every day.
  • Rely on God for His help through out your desires! He WILL help you!
  • Also my parents are absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!! Some of the best examples I could ever ask for in my entire life.
 

Also Allison Lindsey is super awesome, #teameastwood ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment