Coming Closer To Christ

The purpose of me writing this blog is to put my thoughts and impressions down in a place so I can help others come closer to Christ. My deepest desire for every person who reads this, is that they will have a desire of their own to take a step closer, no matter how big or small, to our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Be An Example

One of the greatest thing we can do for those around us, is be a good example. People will always be influenced by the example that you are, whether good or bad. Choose right this second to be a good example.

My parents have been two of the greatest examples in my life. I will list only 10 of the MANY amazing things that they have done for me, just through their example.
  • True Love: My parents have shown me what it is like to have true love. To know what respect is and what is means to love unconditionally.
  • Jesus Christ: My parents taught me to love Jesus Christ. To look to Him for comfort. To always strive to be like him. 
  • Forgiveness: My parents always forgive one another and us children. They don't hold grudges to any of those around them. 
  • Humility: My parents are always humble and are willing to admit their weaknesses. They ask for help when needed. They know their limits. 
  • Humor: My parents have taught me the importance of laughing. To laugh at yourself. To laugh at what you cannot control. To just enjoy the little things and not be too serious all the time.
  • Time: My parents have shown me how important it is to use your time wisely. To make time for the most important things of life. To value the time you have with your family. They have taught me the ways to prioritize my life to use my time to the fullest.
  • Work Hard: My parents have taught me the importance to work hard. To give everything I have to what I am doing. To do the best job that I can.
  • Education: My parents have taught me that I need to gain an education. It is the way to succeed in life. They have shown me that I need to try in my schoolwork. That I need to do all I can to get the most out of everything.
  • Standards: My parents taught me to have high standards and to never let anyone shake them. 
  • Contention: I don't think I can recall my parents ever fighting in front of us. They didn't yell. When they punished us, it was always very loving!
  • Honesty: My parents taught me that we need to be honest in all our doings. Even when it could hurt us or others. To do what is right. They always were grateful to us when we were honest with them, even if it was when we were telling them the wrong things that we have done.


I could go on and on about all the things that my parents have taught be purely through their example. I rarely recall my parents just lecturing us about the above topics, but they always showed that they were important to them, through their examples. 


Now as much as my parents influenced me just by their example, I still have my agency that God has given me. I still have the ability to choose what I am going to do in my life. I wish I could say I am as good as my parents in those things I listed above, but I am not. I wish I was more like Christ, but I am not. BUT, I am always working on it and striving to be better!!!! :) As each of us takes upon the personal responsibility to be a good example, we will see those around us be better as well as ourselves! How awesome is that?!


Some incredible talks about being an example are as follows:

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/be-an-example-of-the-believers?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2005/04/be-thou-an-example?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/be-thou-an-example-of-the-believers?lang=eng

Below are some awesome meme's I love about being an example.









No comments:

Post a Comment